So i got two of these chairs about 1 1/2 years ago for 25 bucks and when my hubs needed a new chair for his office, i thought ok its about time i redid one of these chairs and it would be a perfect fit. so the prep worked started!
Im going for the very rustic unfinished look like the restoration hardware line of unfinished furniture. now some may cringe at the shear thought of a unfinished chair but i droll over them lol.
i know this is not exactly up to there amazing level but hey for a total of about $36.50 ill take it! :)
12.50 for the chair
10.00 for burlap
4.00 (about) for paint & poly
10.00 (about) for staples and glue
first take all the old fabric off! there is really no easy way to do it :)
with a needle nose plier i pinch the cording around the needle nose pliers and twist then any staple left in the wood i just pull out. i did not get all the staples out the were still in the wood from the fabric part but did get all the ones sticking out lol
my little helper hehe pulling the fabric off :)
once thats all done time to paint the chair using black milk paint
(i did a third coat but didnt take a picture)
then let it dry for about 40 mins its super hott here right now so it dries FAST!
Then sanded it where i wanted it destressed and sealed it with a wipe on poly that i used a old cut down brush to put on cause of all the fine details then just wiped with a dry rag after.
time to put the first layer of burlap on since burlap has holes in it i double up on the layers.
i actually used hot glue to make it stick down the inside of the chair since i couldnt get a staple gun to go down in the crack.
it actually is very sturdy. i just pushed the gun way down and put lots of the glue then quickly put the burlap down in the crack.
then i stapled the burlap in just a few places enough to hold it in place around the chair. then put the other layer of burlap on it, then really stapled it all around.
at the curved top i folded it over a little then stapled it.
then i trimmed all the edged and hot glued under every edge of burlap where it touches the wood just to make it extra secure and help the burlap not to fray more.
and on just the top part of the chair glued and folded the edge under
(sorry bad picture taken in bad lighting lol with my phone)
like this but i continued it down all the way (hope that made since)
Here is the chair all finished or unfinished hehe
(chair staged in my living room for pictures )